This Wednesday evening, even more than usual, Kylian Mbappé will be the object of all eyes on the lawn of the Fatih-Terim stadium. Not just because PSG and their coach travel under pressure to Istanbul and the Parisian people expect a lot from their striker, after the defeat conceded to Manchester United last week at Parc des Princes (1-2). The number 7 remains in fact on an unusual period of offensive shortage on the European scene.
He, who puts on goals like pearls on Ligue 1 pitches, remains on six consecutive games without scoring in the Champions League. An eternity for the tricolor world champion who has not shaken the nets in the queen competition since December 11, 2019 during the success against Galatasaray (5-0). Will Bondy’s machine take advantage of its reunion with a Turkish club to restart? Verdict tonight!
1. It will therefore be a great first. Since its creation in 1970, PSG has never had the opportunity to cross paths with Basaksehir. The Turkish club, officially founded in 1990 but bought in 2014, is, it is true, only its third appearance in the Champions League (after two failures in the preliminary phase), the sixth on the European scene. Far, very far from Paris which will play its 237th European match tonight on the occasion of the 29th European Cup season. Basaksehir, will be the fourth Turkish opponent for Parisians who have already faced Galatasaray, Besiktas and Kayserispor.
0. PSG therefore has a series to revive. Before its defeat against Manchester United (1-2) last week, the capital club remained in eleven consecutive games without defeat in the Champions League group. Before that, the last two Parisian losses in a Champions League group match had been held far from the capital, among top names on the European scene. It was indeed Bayern Munich, winner (3-1) on the 6th day of the 2017-2018 edition and Liverpool (3-2) winner on the 1st day of the following season.
17. PSG can however maintain a record Wednesday night in Basaksehir. The capital club remains in 16 consecutive games with at least one goal scored on the field of his opponent in the Champions League. The last time Paris did not find the net in the Champions League on the lawn of its host dates back to April 12, 2016, when he lost (1-0) in the quarter-finals at Manchester City.
5. La manita (5-0 like the five fingers of the hand in Spanish), this is today the record to beat for the Parisian attackers. In its history, the biggest success achieved by PSG in the Champions League away from home is indeed five goals apart. Anderlecht in 2013, Malmö in 2015, Celtic in 2017 and Brugge in 2019 have all suffered the wrath of the Parisian attack in the past.
56. Marquinhos is approaching the record for the number of matches played in the Champions League under the Paris jersey. The Brazilian captain, who will play his 56th European match in Turkey this evening, will be only four lengths behind Marco Verratti and Thiago Silva, who occupy the top of the standings with 60 “capes” each.
Article original de: www.leparisien.fr