The American kidnapped this week in Niger near the Nigerian border has been freed thanks to an intervention by American forces in northern Nigeria, the Pentagon announced on Saturday.
“US forces conducted a hostage release operation early on October 31 in northern Nigeria to recover a US citizen held hostage by a group of armed men,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said. in a press release.
A little earlier, the Nigerien Minister of Defense, Issoufou Katambé, had announced the release of this hostage, Philip Walton.
This is a “great victory for our special forces,” tweeted President Donald Trump, vying for a second term on Tuesday, promising “details to follow.”
The raid was carried out by soldiers who are among “our bravest and most skillful fighters,” said US Foreign Minister Mike Pompeo.
Philip Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and a child for two years, according to his father, who lives in Birni Nkonni and has lived in Niger for almost 30 years. The latter had detailed the circumstances of the kidnapping: “In the night, six men, perhaps Peuls, came on foot. They kidnapped my son. They were looking around the house for money, but there was not enough. There were only 20,000 CFA francs (30 euros). Following this, they left with him ”.
Original article by : www.leparisien.fr